Remember last week? That happened about 34 years ago, so if you’re not, I know. But last Thursday EA’s official Twitter account tweeted a nasty joke about single player games That caused a stir on the Internet and eventually led to an apology Battlefield The publisher and apparently, EA is still dealing with angry employees who feel the tweet was an insult to them, their employees and the games they play.
A new report from USA Today It sheds some light on how this abusive tweet originated, what was the reaction to it within the EA, what plans were devised to manage the situation, and the ongoing outcome of it all. The whole mess is both equally confusing and ridiculous.
According to the report, an hour after the tweet went live last week, it went down in the EA’s internal slack chat room, where employees and social media workers all started sharing roasts and angry reactions).Some of the current EA executors) Which appeared throughout. As the negative reactions got out of control and the conversation began, people at EA began planning to turn the tweet into a positive one. It just wasn’t a good one.
The initial plan was to get all of EA’s other social media accounts to start dunking on Twitter while hoping to get more attention. Different single player games The publisher is at work. But some employees pointed out that this “cooking EA strategy” would only reinforce the online story that EA’s own studios and teams hate the company. And so, after many social media executives backed the plan, it fell apart.
A source told USA Today: “The most agreed upon view was to take responsibility and apologize. However, the apology ended with an equally embarrassing tweet saying that people playing single players were actually 11 years old.
But as the Internet moves towards its next goal, the top tier in EA continues to deal with the results from Twitter. USA Today The FIFA publisher is hosting roundtable discussions and team meetings with CEOs who feel the joke is an insult to the games they work on and the staff they make.
As it turned out, well it turned out that EA’s official Twitter account was not run by EA or its social teams. According to the source who spoke USA TodayIt is very likely that those who will soon tweet the infamous joke have no idea how bad it will get online.
A source said: “I’m 99 percent sure that the person who posted the tweet and their manager didn’t even know about the single player game comments a decade ago.” USA Today. (The comment they are quoting 2010 infamous excerpt Frank Gibbio, then EA’s director of games, said the single-player game was “complete.”)
In addition, the source says the employees who run the Twitter account are “all new” and that most of them are not “game industry folks” and probably know nothing about EA’s long, bad history with single player games. .
It seems that the official Twitter account for the largest video game publishers in the world is not run by people who have a working knowledge of the video game and industry, but then again, when do big companies make logical decisions?