Chris Wallace will be the host on CNN on Sunday night, after jumping from the ship to participate in the doomed CNN +

Former Fox News presenter Chris Wallace gave a concert on CNN a few weeks after completing his interview on the doomed CNN + app.

Wallace left Fox News in December after 18 years on the network to join CNN +, with a $ 12 million deal.

This was ruled out after just 22 days due to poor subscriber numbers.

But Wallace, 74, has a second chance on the network this fall, hosting a primetime show on Sunday night, CNN CEO Chris Licht told Warner Bros. upfronts. Discovery on Wednesday.

Chris Wallace (pictured) has a second chance at CNN this fall, where he will host a primetime show on Sunday night

Chris Wallace (pictured) has a second chance at CNN this fall, where he will host a primetime show on Sunday night

CNN CEO Chris Licht (pictured) announces Wallace show will be part of a new programming block

CNN CEO Chris Licht (pictured) has announced that Wallace’s show will be part of a new “CNN Sunday” programming block and will also be available to stream on HBO Max

The show will be part of a new “CNN Sunday” programming block and will also be available for air on HBO Max, the Hollywood Reporter reported.

Licht said the news network wants to move away from “Extremes” that currently dominate cable news

“The truth, the fact and the news that have a real impact on their (viewers’) lives is the way we plan CNN’s future,” he said.

The network says it intends to apply it to the morning news as well.

“We’re trying to disrupt morning broadcasts in this area and we think we have the resources to do so,” said Licht, who has previously served as executive producer on both MSNBC’s Morning Joe and CBS This Morning.

Discovery CEO David Zaslav also said it was clear the network would be switched to immediate updates.

“People in America are looking for a place where people do not shout and do not give their opinions and look for more news. “You will see this on CNN,” Zaslav told CNBC’s Squawkbox.

Discovery CEO David Zaslav says Americans are looking for a source of news where people do not shout at them or say what they think.

Discovery CEO David Zaslav says Americans are looking for a source of news where people do not shout at them or say what they think.

After spending $ 300 million, CNN + shut down and 300 employees were fired within a few weeks of release

After spending $ 300 million, CNN + shut down and 300 employees were fired within a few weeks of release

CNN + stars including Kasie Hunt (third left), Chris Wallace (next to Hunt) and Anderson Cooper (third right) appear on March 28 to celebrate the launch of the streaming service

CNN + stars including Kasie Hunt (third left), Chris Wallace (next to Hunt) and Anderson Cooper (third right) appear on March 28 to celebrate the launch of the streaming service

Zaslav said the Atlanta-based cable news company would move away from the left-wing support.

“We believe that CNN is a critical asset for us. It is a leader in gathering news around the world. Most of the cable networks around the world and here in the US are defense networks. There are defense networks on the left, there are advocacy networks on the right. “We believe there is a real opportunity for CNN,” he said, waving his hand in the middle.

Zaslav told MSNBC on Wednesday that there was “no message” behind the launch of the $ 300 million CNN + megaflop beyond its extremely low subscription rate.

“There was no message on CNN +,” he said. “It was a business decision.”

“It simply came to our notice then. We examined the data. They had spent a huge amount of money trying to sell an independent product.

“Subscribers were not there. Users were not there. We looked at it together. “We had the opportunity to see all the data and when we looked at the data, the company was not there.”

CNN +, which will charge $ 5.99 a month, had attracted only 150,000 subscribers in the first few weeks. Former CNN CEO Jeff Zucker spent $ 300 million on the service, which was scrapped on April 27 with the loss of 300 jobs.

Zaslav told Squawkbox that the time had come for the network to stop chasing business trends following the downturn in Netflix, the streaming industry leader that had 1,500 employees this week after losing 200,000 subscribers in the first three months of 2022.

“It’s about flow and flow development, but it’s also about the basics of business. These are free cash flows. It’s about profits. “We are bigger than any of the broadcasters and their portfolios and we are going to the market with a really good company, a traditional company,” said Zaslav.

CNN + had promised to be a new frontier in the news industry, offering an original program separate from what the company is promoting on its news channel.

A leading producer went so far as to call CNN’s streaming service the Apollo Mission – comparing it to a successful landing on the moon, according to the Wall Street Journal, and the network’s recruits said it was ready to spend $ 1 billion four years for the effort.

But after Zaslav discovered that only 5,000 to 10,000 people were being broadcast at any one time – he decided to unplug.

By April 21, Licht had told staff that CNN + was ending.

The company had promised to provide positions for staff members who were laid off elsewhere in the company, and those who were not placed in other positions, the newspaper reported, would receive six months’ compensation if they did not leave the company. within 90 days.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *