Avalanche of torn Xinjiang police documents, images reveal Uyghur abuse by Chinese government

A leak of thousands of leaked photos and official documents, entitled “Xinjiang Police Archives”, reveals new information about the detention of the Uighur population in China.

An anonymous hacker allegedly downloaded and decrypted the secret files from various police computers in Xinjiang before handing them over to Dr. Adrian Zenz, a US-based scholar who has previously published research on Xinjiang.

Zenz posted the details in an article in the Journal of the European Union of Chinese Studies on Tuesday.

The timing of the leak coincides with a scheduled visit by the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights and former Chilean President Michel Bachelet to China.

More from NextShark: “Am I going home?”: A woman accused of punching a 6-year-old boy from Asia asks to be released without bail

In one BBC interview, shared Zenz, “The material is not processed, it is raw, it is undiminished, it is varied. We have everything “, referring to the extensive records.

“We have confidential documents. We have speech transcripts where leaders talk freely about what they really think. We have spreadsheets. We have pictures. “It’s completely unprecedented and it is tearing down the veil of Chinese propaganda.”

The compromised file contains over 5,000 photos of Uighurs and other Chinese ethnic, Muslim minorities from the Xinjiang area, who were arrested by police between January and July 2018.

More from NextShark: 68-year-old man suffers from nightmares after Auckland attack

Also included are images from the detention centers themselves, with detainees chained and accompanied by authorities holding batons or rifles, support for previous reports for the conditions of the facilities.

The files are said to end in 2018 because the Chinese government is believed to have used more sophisticated encryption methods in the years that followed.

The BBC published 2,884 photos of the detainees found in the crypt, with the youngest pictured being 15-year-old Rahile Omer, who appears to be looking straight into the camera with her rose cheeks and ponytail hair.

More from NextShark: Laos reports first COVID-19-related death since pandemic begins

The eldest was 73-year-old Anihan Hamid, who was probably sent to one of the camps to be “retrained”, as were hundreds of thousands of other Uighurs like her.

Others may be imprisoned for even the slightest offense, including knowing someone who practices, studies or expresses the Islamic faith.

Despite the Chinese government’s insistence that the incarceration camps are “vocational schools”, records show that armed officers patrolled every corner of the camp with machine guns and snipers on hand, instructing a “shoot to kill” policy for anyone attempting. to escape.

More from NextShark: Female suicide bomber kills 4, including 3 Chinese nationals, outside Confucius Institute in Karachi

Foreign Minister Wang Yi had previously stated in 2019, “The truth is that education and training centers in Xinjiang are schools that help people free themselves from extremism.”

China’s ambassador to the UK, Zheng Zeguang, tweeted on Tuesday expressing contempt for the BBC article.

Such a shame for the BBC to convey the fabricated story of the so-called ‘detention camps’. Sad for the media, in conflict with the infamous gossip, to spread misinformation about Xinjiang once again. “Your slander campaign will never stop China from moving forward!”

In a tweet earlier that day, Zheng had said he hoped Bachelet’s visit “would help clear up misinformation and expose rumors and lies with facts and truths.”

The BBC contacted the Chinese government for comment, and the Chinese embassy in Washington responded with a statement saying: or religion. “

He went on to say that the Chinese authorities had taken “a number of decisive, strong and effective decriminalization measures”.

“The region now enjoys social stability and harmony as well as economic development.”

There was no immediate response to any of the details, including thousands of images and official documents.

Feeling against the Uighurs crossed Chinese politics after two deadly attacks, one in 2013 and another in 2014, leaving dozens dead and hundreds injured. Uyghur radical Islamists have been blamed for the bombings and killings, although only one of the incidents was claimed by a terrorist group.

The two events not only confirmed previous anti-Uighur sentiments, but also led to concrete action by the government, including the construction of training camps that have housed nearly one million Uighur detainees.

In Xinjiang alone, more than 12% of the adult population was reportedly held either in a camp or in prison in 2017 and 2018.

Selected image via USA Today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.